Wednesday, May 6, 2009

How to sell your products to Costco, part 3

Hi all you Costco loving product sellers.

This will be the final post on the subject:

"The 11 crucial steps that should be followed before meeting with a Costco buyer."
If you recall we left off at step 6 which was "Other Costs", I hope these steps have been helpful let's finish it off starting with step 7.
  • Potential sell through quantities: : Based on what divisions of Costco you are going after create some scenarios that show potential quantity sales. Costco has 3 divisions in the US and an international division. 1. Costco warehouse, 2. Costco.com, 3. Costco Road Show, 4. Costco Canada (Canada is Costco's second largest market with over 70 locations), 5. Costco.com Canada, 6. Costco UK, 7. Costco Mexico, 8. Costco Japan, 9. Costco Taiwan, 10. Costco Korea.
  • PNL: Create an item PNL using all of the preceding information in the other Blog posts to determine viability of program. You never want to do this after the deal has been made. Entering into a program and finding out, after you are having success, that you are loosing money will be devastating.
  • Costco: Decide which division of Costco you should contact first. Make initial contact with Costco buyer and gauge interest. You will probably need help here as getting through to Costco buyers can be very difficult if not impossible. If enough interest exists set an initial meeting at Costco HQ.
  • Pre-meeting: Make a final decision on at least two, no more than three packaging options. Nail down your options as you will only have approximately 30 minutes to pitch your idea to Costco and you want to have time left over to discuss next steps. Make a final decision on cost pricing to include in presentation. Create your presentation and confirm your appt. one week prior to the meeting.
  • Meeting: In your presentation be thorough, but not over the top. Keep your pitch smart and to the point. Be prepared for Costco to have some questions not just about your product, but about you and your company as well. Know your competition and your market. They will test you. Lastly make sure you nail down next steps and follow up before you leave the meeting.

Helping you partner with Costco is my specialty. I can personally help you with all the 11 crucial steps and even help you get through to the buyer. For more information please visit my website.

9 comments:

  1. Howԁy! Someone in my Myspacе group ѕhared thіs sіte with us so I came to chеck it out.
    I'm definitely enjoying the information. I'm book-marking and
    will be twееting thіs tο my followeгs!
    Suρeгb blοg and wonderful deѕіgn.
    My page ; sbwire

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a very bad experience with the book buyer Penny Clark. I am a Army combat veteran who published a new book to help our new veterans suicide rates which have reached an alarming rate of 31%. My book was presented to the Costco buyer and I was brushed off and told to be taken off the mail list. I am wondering if Costco is against veterans and more interested in profits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment is addressed to the Army Combat Veteran. First let me say, thank you for your service. It is appreciated.
      I am sorry you had a bad experience, however I can assure you it was not directed at you personally or the fact you are a veteran. Penny is a hard working buyer who sees literally thousands of books per month. All is not lost. I would recommend contacting warehouse managers of Costco locations closest to large Military bases where this book is likely to do best. Warehouse managers have a lot of pull regarding what goes on in their warehouses and you may get one to go to bat for you. Please feel free to reach out to me through my website www.TLBconsulting.com and we can discuss other strategies for your book.

      Delete
    2. To the army vets comment..Dear sir thank you for your service. Don't give up because of this bad experience the reason you wrote it was for your fellow soldiers and they need to hear it. Just flush IT out of your mind and keep moving on with your book and you will succeed

      Delete
  3. My company is interested in selling Clamping Rope and related accessories items to Costso. How could we contact to the right buyer, please help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regarding Clamping rope at Costco. Please send me an email at tim@tlbconsulting.com with your contact details so we can chat.

      Cheers,

      Tim

      Delete
  4. Tim I have a idam that I only want to sell only to a few companies you guys are one I would like to speak to someone to see if you guys would like it I wrote to the investors at Costco they have my info thanks jason

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Jason, I am afraid you may have mistaken who we are. TLB Consulting is not part of Costco, we are a consulting company that works with companies looking to understand big retailers with an emphasis on Costco. If you have a product and are interested to learn if it would be a good fit for Costco or building a program to present to Costco please reach out to us via email. tim@tlbconsulting.com. Thank you for your comment and interest.

    ReplyDelete